Under the direction of Deborah Spector, PhD, the Translational Research Alliance was established as a coordinating center to develop new pathways for clinical investigators to collaborate with basic science researchers outside UCSD and to provide new tools for basic scientists across the San Diego region to translate discoveries into new treatments. To accomplish these goals, we have established partnerships with other universities, health care providers, biomedical research organizations, and nonprofit organizations (see below) to do the following:
- Develop programs to foster collaboration and resource-sharing, and decrease barriers to interaction.
- Facilitate technology transfer and development of novel therapies with our partner institutions and industry.
The Translational Research Alliance Internal Advisory Board, which includes representatives from our partner research institutions and industry meets twice a year to discuss Alliance goals and activities opportunities for resource sharing and training programs, funding available for pilot projects and interdisciplinary studies, and mechanisms to improve interactions with partner institutes and the biotech community. In addition, the Director meets individually with the Directors of BIOCOM and CONNECT to discuss Alliance goals and activities.
Partner Research Institutions
- Salk Institute
- Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute
- La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology
- J Craig Venter Institute
- San Diego State University (SDSU)
- Von Leibig Center
- California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology (Calit2)
- San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC)
- Institute of Engineering in Medicine
Hospitals and Health Care Providers
- Rady Children’s Hospital
- Palomar Pomerado Health
- VA San Diego Healthcare
Deborah H. Spector, PhD
Director, Translational Research Alliance