The Pfizer Center for Therapeutic Innovation (CTI) program is a collaboration between Pfizer, Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute (SBMRI), and UC San Diego investigators to develop protein therapeutics (e.g., monoclonal antibodies, antibody variants, recombinant proteins, Fc-fusions, pegylated proteins, antibody and protein conjugates, bispecific antibodies and peptides) and take them through successful proof-of-mechanism studies in humans (generally phase I clinical trials). All researchers, clinicians, and postdoctoral fellows may apply. Pre-Proposals will be selected by a Joint Steering Committee (JSC) of approximately 10 members, with equal representation from UC San Diego, SBMRI, and Pfizer. Authors of selected Pre-Proposals will be invited to submit full Proposals to be written in collaboration with Pfizer scientists. The JSC will evaluate and select the projects, determine their funding, and monitor their progress.
The CTI focuses on the following disease topics:
- Autoimmunity (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Lupus Nephritis)
- Renal Disease (Kidney Injury/Lupus Glomerulonephritis, IgA Nephropathy)
- Cardiovascular (Congestive Heart Failure, Post-Myocardial Infarction, Acute Coronary Syndrome)
Key criteria for project selection and funding will include:
- Strength of data supporting validation of the target
- Relevance to human disease
- Ability of target to be treated with drug(s) based on protein therapeutics
- Scientific assets (including potential lead candidate drugs)
- Feasibility of scientific project
- Clear path forward to proof-of-mechanism studies in humans
Note: Proposals that impact orphan or rare diseases are encouraged.
Please view the formal Pre-Proposal RFA. Pre-Proposals will be submitted through the CTI Portal. by UCSD's Office of Contract and Grant Administration (OCGA) and the Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute (SBMRI).
For any technical questions please contact Andrew Wiseman, PhD, Corporate Business Development Officer, UC San Diego Health Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 822-1706. For more background on the program, please view the CTI Workshop Presentation.
The Pre-Proposal must not contain confidential information. Unpublished information should not be disclosed. For this or any other question about the Proposals, please contact Cortlandt Urquhart, Principal Contract and Grant Officer, at email@example.com or (858) 534-0244.