Request CTRI Services
Clinical Trials and Sample Repositories
Velos eResearch is an integrated software system for managing clinical trials. The software links to the UCSD Health System’s Epic Electronic Medical Record System to provide improved information and integration for clinical research projects. One module within this platform, called eSample, will track biological samples and link them to the Electronic Health Record. A robust support team assists investigators in implementing their protocols, study budgets, and calendars. Velos eResearch is a web-based system that supports
Creation of budgets
Creation of protocols with calendars
Scheduling of subjects
Electronic case report forms
Tracking visits and events
Creation of invoices
Simple Studies and Surveys
- REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure, web-based application for building and managing online surveys and databases.
- With REDCap's streamlined process for rapidly developing projects, an investigator may create and design projects using 1) the online method from his or her web browser and the Online Designer; and/or 2) the offline method by constructing a 'data dictionary' template file in Microsoft Excel, which can be later uploaded into REDCap. Both surveys and databases (or a mixture of the two) can be built using these methods.
- REDCap provides automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to Excel and common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R), as well as a built-in project calendar, a scheduling module, ad hoc reporting tools, and advanced features, such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
- Please see the Training Resources page to view quick video tutorials of REDCap in action and an overview of its features.
- The next REDCap Training Session is TBD from 2:30 to 4:00 PM in Torrey Pines Center South, 10280 N. Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, CA 92037, room 400.
Electronic Health Record Queries
The Clinical Data Warehouse for Research (CDWR) pulls a subset of the data from the Electronic Health Record system and allows investigators to query patient information in a HIPAA-compliant manner. The data are primarily drawn from UC San Diego Medical Center's Clinical Data Warehouse, which contains data from more than 1.9 million patients collected during the last decade, and represents 1.8 million outpatient visits, over 300,000 Emergency Department visits, and over 177,000 inpatient admissions.
For identifying specific patients, approval by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) is required. Our support team will execute queries on CDWR and return results to users, as approved by their IRB protocols. In addition to these services, the CTRI Informatics team will assist investigators with the creation of protocols. We also will provide training and ongoing support. For more information, click on the "Request CTRI Services" button above.
NOTICE: If you plan on collecting data for the purpose of human subjects research, your project must be reviewed and approved by your Institutional Review Board.